Wednesday, February 13, 2008

3 Year Olds

I got to spend the day at home with our 3-year old today. Thanks to a way too late to make other arrangements call from our daycare provider.

Not that I mind, he's pretty cool to hang out with for a toddler. But these things always seem to happen when things at work are at their peak. Thankfully after a few hurried e-mails, calls and some quick formatting work, the fire for the day was out and I was free to relax.

Relax. Something that I have never been very good at. Physically, yes. I can lounge on the couch with the best of them. Mentally, though, things never slow down. And when I don't have something productive to think about, things go downhill quickly. Stressed about the impending birth, but mostly because it complicates my wife's job situation.

See, she's a teacher, but since we moved into Delaware she's only been able to get temporary jobs. So basically come June, she's unemployed until something comes up. Usually in December. This year she's finally in a good school surrounded by great people and supported by a wonderful principal. And she's pregnant. Which is wonderful and I couldnt be more thrilled.

But it complicates things, at least in my head. I, for some reason, have decided in my mind that each hour she takes off, which are well justified, will make it harder for her to get the job again next year. I have this image of her principal holding everything against her. Which I know is not the case, but I still drive myself nuts thinking about it.

Quite a tangent. I told you I had issues.

Back to the toddler. We're rolling out sugar cookie dough and I turned my back for a second.

By now I should no better.

I turn back and I now have a flour covered toddler and twelve cookies with little fingerprints throughout.

After the third attempt we managed to get them in the oven.

I love hanging out with him. He does wonders towards keeping my mind from running away with my anxieties.

No comments: