Saturday, December 6, 2008

DCCofD

So I had been training with a good group of people for the last few weeks. Unfortunately the training for the season has come to an end, as with the exception of the kid, our season's have come to a close. But I took the oppurtunity to go out after the final training ride with a group of the guys, and I have to say it was fun.

Now, I'll be the first to tell you that I am not the most social person. Actually, my wife would probably be the first to say it as I would be off in a corner by myself. But anyway, the folks from the DCCofD are a group that I already feel comfortable hanging out with.

I'm currently the ssslllloooowwww guy. Like really slow. The group ranges from me to steady B podium finishers, to the kid and even a few elite types. If the efforts we did were more than two laps, I'd be a lapped rider every night. But everyone is still welcoming and I appreciate that. And I thank everyone for their patience, encouragement and the remedial lessons.

You see, I think that one of the reasons, actually I know that one of the reaons I got involved in bikes and endurance sports is the community. With few exceptions the cycling community is filled with wonderful people. I have ridden with Tour de Frnace winners, had yellow jersey wearers and world champs in my house and I have had top riders stop and talk to me for no reason other than I was a fellow cyclist.

When does that happen in baseball?

And one of the things that I will remember from the dinner with the DCCofD the other night is the discussion about the pros we all have encountered. The talk revolved around world and national champs, known riders and up and comers. And without fail they were all recognized for being just another rider. Approachable, friendly, even stopping of their own choice to have a discussion with some stranger on the side of the course. They recognize what is truly important in their sport and perhaps beyond, and so I recognize the value that they provide to our community.

And that is why I ride. That is why I stand in the mud to hand off fresh bikes and why I ride through secret locations on freezing cold nights. To be part of something. Something that I did not create, but something that I can continue and introduce to others. I'm not the type of father to force my children into this or that activity, at least I don't think so but time will tell, but I hope more than anything that can find a community that encourages them to be part of something bigger than themselves.

So to all the folks of the Delaware Cyclocross Coalition of Delaware, I say thank you. Thank you for accepting a slow, fat rider looking for something to be a part of.

No comments: