Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nothing, Really...

Don't really have anything exciting to post about today. Just home early with a "sick" kid. I use the term loosely, because while there is no doubt he has a cold, he's also begging for cookies. So I don't think we are dealing with a long term illness here. Unless school counts as an illness.

So since I don't really have anything from today, maybe a flashback is in order.

Raced the Granogue Cross race in October. I sucked. Completely. Got lapped in a C race. Not Good. But cross, oh my. I am hooked. Already looking forward to next season. The suffering, the weather, the pain, the mud. The friends, the atmosphere, the competition. I can't wait.

Second race was better...

I volunteered to help with the Fair Hill race, hoping to get a comped entry. The comped entry came, as did the gift of a front row start. Thanks, Jan. Nothing like being an obstacle. I started better than at Granogue, meaning that I hadn't lost contact with the field by the end of the first straight. I fought through, thanks in no small part to the cheers from FSVS and DCCofDer's around the course. It took over two laps for the women to start passing me! Small victories are all I have to hope for at this point.

Third race I had looked forward to all year...

US Grand Prix of Cyclocross at Mercer County Park. I was actually riding with ither racers through most of the first half a lap. Even passing some. Then it happened. The chain twisted, it didn;t break, but warped just enough to wander off the chain rings each time around. Race over. But not the day.

Found the DCCofD headquarters in a nearby parking lot and was treated to familiar faces, encouragement and a shower. And I was happy to work the pits for the guys in the B race. That Bahnson kid is something, hopefully Tom McD and L-Web will look out for him like I know they will.

And that's a lot about nothing.

No comments: