Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year

There are a lot of thoughts running through my head this morning as I contemplate the new year. Will we be able to get settled at some point this year? Will my wife find her direction? Can I really get off my ass to work towards a bike season that is still eight months away?

All remains to be seen. All remains shrouded at this moment. I've learned a lot about life over the last year. I think I've finally learned what's important. I've learned to relax (OK, that's due mostly to prescriptions, but, whatever, I'm relaxed). I've learned to take moments to play with the kids, because those moments will never be here again. I've learned how much parents can really love and support their kids. And I hope to apply that to my children.

I'm looking forward to the new year with a positive forward view that I don't think I've had in a long time, if ever. I look forward to reconnecting with my wife. I look forward to the new adventures that being a father of two will undoubtedly hold. I look forward to losing weight and gaining fitness.

I'm looking forward to using my new (to me) Computrainer. My father has done it again, surprising me at one of my low moments with an unexpected motivation to train and improve. And this thing ROCKS! Still working out a detail or two on the setup, but it is really cool. This will change everything. If I let it. If I can work it. If I can get off my ass and onto the bike.

God help us all as we face the new year, and man's greatest obstacle to self-improvement:

Self.

No comments: