Saturday, January 17, 2009

Not Just A Cyclist

So cycling is a huge part of my life. I love the rides, races, the people, just the whole feeling. It's a little cliche to say that if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand, but for the sport of cycling and even moreso cyclocross, it's never seemed more true.

But over the last few months I have begun to develop a new obsession. Beer. Not just any beer. And really, not just beer. Brewing. Homebrewing. It's really cool. Like cooking but you get beer. I'm just diving into this hobby, but already it has been fun and rewarding. The first batch is gone and the second is a few weeks from being ready. The Belgian Wit that we have finished off, was one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. Fresh, good notes of orange peel and coriander. Nothing extraordinary by most means I'm, but good nonetheless. And the wife enjoyed it. She liked drinking it, enjoyed the taste and even helped in the bottling process. And she's allowing me to ferment the next batch, a Bavarian Dunkelweizen, in the kitchen.

The thing that strikes me about this new hobby is the similarities to my other obsession. The community is wonderful. Cooperative, supportive and encouraging. Sharing recipes and information is a given and the patience some of the people on Home Brew Talkshow for newbies is amazing.

I finally have something to obsess over between races.

No comments: