Monday, March 10, 2008

Holeshot!

So I started this whole thing to have some where to vent out all the bicycle related thoughts and activities that I don't think my wife particularlay cares about. So here it is. The first bike related post.

I just picked up my first cyclocross frame. OK, I picked it up like a month ago. Hey, I just had another kid, things have been a little hectic.

I had a great debate between several bikes from Jamis, Fuji and Van Dessel. For some reason I have an issue with using carbon fiber during a crash likely issue like cross. I know that it is a structurally sound material, just have some issue with it. Not too mention that budget was a consideration for this little endeavor.

Anyway, that eliminated the Jamis offering and the Van Dessel Gin and Trombones.

Leaving the Fuji Cross Pro and the Van Dessel Hole Shot. Forgive me but I'm going on a little tangent here. Anyone who has been around bikes for a while has probably heard mention of Bikes Direct. Basically they have resurrected older brand names, put them on new frames with good components and seel them at well below their claimed retail prices. I don't have any personal experience with the company, other than reading through many of the threads on Bike Forums on the company and their bikes. And there isn't a whole lot of negativity, at least with some basis in reason. So even though I have no plans to buy from them (I prefer to support my LBS), I don't have anything against them.

Anyway, back on point. As I researched and debated the merits of the cross pro versus the Holeshot, I for some reason found myself on BD's website. And I found their cross bike. With a description that matched, word for word, the Fuji Cross Pro. I had to pause for a second. I know that their are only so many factories in the world churning out bike frames, but I usually give the benefit of the doubt that a large, long existing company produces things in house. So seeing BD with a description matching that of Fuji gave me second thoughts.

I had no doubts about the quality of each, but given the price difference, I started to wonder about the value of the Fuji.

So my attention turned to the Holeshot. And I'm glad it did.

No comments: