Monday, March 24, 2008

Worried

I worry about things. I think I've mentioned that before. But here's the deal. I don't worry about everyday things. The things I worry about are in the future. Actually, they are in the possible future. I can take a little nugget of information, that doesn't mean anything to anyone else, and turn it into the end of the world.

Given the economic times, it's not surprising that some employers are cutting costs, even considering or already cutting jobs. My employer is no different. Except that it's a state government with over 14,000 employees. And somehow, the mere mention of layoffs has me convinced I'll be first. That's right a reporter asked the obvious question, how will the government deal with the recently revealed budget shortfalls. Projected shortfalls, no less. Far enough into the future that things can, and probably will, change. Seems reasonable enough.

Not for me.

Instead of taking the news in stride and waiting to see how the current ecomonic climate continues to unfold, I'm just going to jump to my own conclusions. I'm apparently going to be miserable for a few days, cause it will do no good and serve no purpose. But I am apparently compelled to do it anyway.

They haven't even said there are going to be layoffs. In fact said that they weren't considering that yet, just put it in the future picture with more taxes. Even went so far as to explain why layoffs wouldn't be a good strategy.

But no, in my head, that ship has sailed. Right off the cliff.

It's a wonder anyone puts up with me.

No comments: