Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sandy Hook TT

Made the trip up to NJ this weekend for the Sandy Hook TT. Almost 300 people registered for the race this year, which seemed high to me. I've done this one before and it's nice to go out and race an event with my father and some of the guys I ride with when visiting the parents in Jersey.

The weather for this race is usually horrendous. Standard gear for this event usually includes more equipment and rain gear than a weekend camping trip. Thankfully this year it wasn't needed. Racing in shorts, jersey and wind jacket and I was overheating by the end of my effort.

The weather was all we could ask for, however the organization and the volunteers were a little lacking. First, unlike previous years, the numbers were not given to riders in start order. They were all over the place, which made it difficult to keep track of where you were in the start and when you needed to be there. I almost got dropped by the starter before the official began counting down and I know of at least one rider who was let go when the starter said 5 seconds to go.

But the weather was beautiful. Started out into the wind, and probably did not go as hard as I could have since the turnaround seemed to come sooner than I expected. Nice tailwind on the way back, but just didn't feel the snap in the legs that I was hoping for. But still likely a bit faster than last year, though most of that is probably due to the more favorable weather.

Still waiting for the final results, I'll update again when I get them.

No comments: